Monday 12 November 2012

Mérida....Market Time!

A visit to Mérida would not be complete without visiting a local market.  It took us a few wrong turns to find this market which was several blocks south of the main square.  There was some road construction on the way...



Entrance to the market area....



I wonder if those are BC apples!

















The ever present and tempting pork stand...I don't think the heat lamps are going to get a passing grade from health inspector hubby!





Anything you need.....this place probably has it!





Spices and seasonings galore!







The meat stands.....I held my breath while taking this photo.  The aroma was a little overwhelming in the 30C+ heat.....



Some other areas of the market....not quite as neat and organized....not very waterproof either!



Probably lots of yummy scraps for this kitty!




A Mexican slot machine?  I put money in and tried a few times....I don't think I won anything but it was hard to know!






 And then, the fish market.....






These sweet ladies really want us to try some of their yummy ceviche.....hmmm, maybe next time!



Breakfast of champions!



Time to head outside for fresh air......the market continues.....







I love the flower shops in Mexico...such colourful blooms!



This fellow put on quite the performance for us....tacos al pastor....all his co-workers were laughing!


The BEST coke!  


Another market building that had clothing, hammocks, tablecloths......



The surrounding neighbourhood.....





Heading back towards the main square....


 We really enjoyed our visit to the market.  We were the only tourists but we felt very welcome and everyone was so friendly.  While there is quite a difference between our 'markets' at home and this market, it was interesting to see the 'real' place where locals shop.  Add it to your list of things to see and do in Mérida!

2 comments:

  1. That market is probably my favorite place in Merida. And yes, I ate the pork from that very same stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm revisiting this blog post almost a year to the day later, and I still love seeing every single picture of my favorite place. This year we ate ceviche and shrimp tacos for breakfast at one of those stands and can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete